The first years of any child’s education are an impressionable time; environment supporting integration education has been recognized one of the important tools for conserving the environment through the cultivation of knowledge, skills, values and positive attitudes towards the environment among people.
However, the teachers and educators face a number of barriers in the teaching of environmental education, some of which include lack of teaching and learning resources, time, multicultural issues and large class size. A school’s social environment has broad influence on pupils’ learning and growth, including major aspects of their social, emotional, and ethical development.
The social environment is shaped by many factors, but perhaps most important in determining the school environment is the quality of pupils’ relationships with other pupils, school’s staff, teachers and educators (in inclusive schools). Therefore they must consider a wide range of learning modalities (visual, auditory, kinaesthetic, etc.) in designing instruction. This section will help them to better understand and deal with these factors, and the aim is to support teachers` professional development regarding selected sub-topics.
Related training contents
Diversity as a value
Special needs and personalized tasks
- To prevent prejudice, stereotypes and discrimination
- To encourage and strengthen intercultural awareness
- To promote capacities and appropriation of certain cultural content
- To reinforce self-development and self-awareness
- Due to the fact that a one-size-fits-all instructional strategy does not exist. I have a wide variety of instructional strategies within my repertoire.
- I don´t use the information, tools and methods provided if I don´t feel safe with or I don´t know about it. I reflect and report about the interactions and behaviours that take place in the classroom in order to understand the motivation behind the behaviours.
- I try to build trusting relationships with pupils and their families extending beyond the school (Home-School-Community Connection).
- I do not deal alone with important class problems; I will include all actors, parents, guidance department and school heads, principal and external resources”.
- I allow multiple perspectives and ways of thinking. Examine the Classroom Environment.
- I don’t focus only in one argument and way. I try to cover and think in external factors (social, economic, familiar).
- I avoid “preaching” to pupils about how they should behave.
- I provide opportunities for pupils to resolve conflicts, solve problems, work in diverse teams and think critically about information.
- Inclusive schools network. (2015, June) – Retrieved from http://inclusiveschools.org/together-we-learn-better-inclusive-schools-benefit-all-children/
- Center for the Collaborative Classroom – Retrieved from https://www.collaborativeclassroom.org/research-articles-and-papers-the-role-of-supportive-school-environments-in-promoting-academic-success
- Edutopia – George Lucas Educational Foundation (2016,September) – Retrieved from https://www.edutopia.org/blog/preparing-cultural-diversity-resources-teachers
- Voices of Youth – http://www.voicesofyouth.org/en/posts/discrimination-against-children–2
- The Educational, Psychological, and Social Impact of Discrimination on the Immigrant Child. Christia Spears Brown. Migration Policy Institute2015. – http://www.migrationpolicy.org/research/educational-psychological-and-social-impact-discrimination-immigrant-child
- Education world. Article by Celine Provini, EducationWorld EditorEducation World 2012. – http://www.educationworld.com/a_curr/combating-racism-multicultural-classroom.shtml
- CPI Training and consulting in behavior management & dementia care. Diann Scroggins. – https://www.crisisprevention.com/Blog/July-2015/Talking-About-Race-and-Disability
- Understanding Prejudice a web site for students, teachers, and others interested in the causes and consequences of prejudice. – http://www.understandingprejudice.org/teach/elemtips.htm
- Promoting Equality & Diversity in the Classroom – Tips & Resources for Teachers. Louise Petty, 2014. – http://www.highspeedtraining.co.uk/hub/classroom-equality-diversity/
- NDT Resource Center – https://www.nde-ed.org/TeachingResources/ClassroomTips/Diversity.htm
- Multiprofessional Faculty Development – Professional Development for Clinical Educators. London Deanery 2012. – http://www.faculty.londondeanery.ac.uk/e-learning/diversity-equal-opportunities-and-human-rights/valuing-diversity/view?portal_status_message=Error%20creating%20PDF%20file
- University of Washington Bothell. Global Initiatives Intercultural Competence Toolkit. Natalia Dyba, Director of Global Initiatives. – https://www.uwb.edu/globalinitiatives/resources/intercultural-competence-tool-kit